Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Teach your children well

This year Anna's birthday just happened to fall on the last day of school.

Cue Lesson #1- I was extremely concerned that being the middle child she would feel like the last day activities/field day would steal her thunder. Anna's view-"I can't believe my birthday is on field day! How cool is that?! I get to turn 8 on a day that is big for everyone!"

We enjoyed the last day of school but I was anxious...very anxious. I hadn't requested a teacher even though I knew one of them might not be the best fit for Anna. My reasoning was that it went against everything I have always taught my girls. You're not going to hit it off with everyone you meet in life. But as we stood in the hallway of the school and the parents and children swarmed as the roster was posted...I questioned myself. My heart sank as i saw she had said teacher and the majority of the girls she gelled with were in the other class.

Cue Lesson #2-Anna was a little disappointed that the majority of her friends were in the other class but the teacher wasn't an issue. In Anna's words "She's picky about mean kids and you know me moma, I'll be OK because I am SO sweet".

Cue Lesson #3- We picked Julia up from school and as soon as she got in the car she was so excited to see A&J's report cards. When she saw Anna's teacher she looked at me, saw the tension in my face and very calmly said "That is great Anna! I want you to know that if you need ANYTHING at all next year I am here for you. I can't believe you are going to be a big 3rd grader!" When we got home and Anna was safely out of earshot Julia approached me. "Moma, I think you underestimate Anna. You have always taught us that it is better to have the tools you need in life to deal with difficult situations than to run away from them."

Teach your children well so that when the going gets tough...you can learn from them.


No comments:

Post a Comment